Amcrest IP2M-841-B-V3 working in HomeBridge & HomeKit.

Cupertino, October 13, 2020

Full HD video using:
rtsp://username:password@IP_Address:Port/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0

My first impressions of this Amcrest were that it could see outside the bright windows of the sunroom and interior of the sunroom at the same time, whereas other cameras either wash out the windows as too bright, or you can't see anything inside as it is too dark. This is a far more challenging location for a camera than typical, but it makes for an excellent test.

The viewing angle is a really wide 90º which was surprising for a Pan & Tilt camera, but you can see so much of the room in one frame! Most of my other pan/tilt cameras have about a 64º viewing angle. This means the image looks more like one of those action cameras with a slight fisheye, than video camera. Like an action camera, the wide lens causes some of the image to bend, but I really like seeing so much of the room at the same time for a security application.

It runs off of a USB adaptor rated 5V at 1.5A, and comes with both the power supply and a very long 9' cable. I really like USB-powered cameras, because you can use a cheap USB Power Bank as a UPS, so long as it supports pass-through charging. My router and home server are on a UPS, so the security camera continues to work for a time during a power outage.

My setup:

ZoneMinder 1.34.20 running on Ubuntu Server 18.04.5 LTS on a decade old i7 tower.
A hodgepodge of 20 different cameras ranging from cheap AliExpress stuff to brand name.
Homebridge Camera FFmpeg plugin serving all the cameras to HomeKit.
ZmEventNotification pushing to ZmNinja.

This camera:
Amcrest IP2M-841-B-V3 running firmware V2.800.0000000.6.R, Build Date: 2020-03-14

Best selling & Top trending HomeKit product in our shop at this moment

HomeKit.Blog is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Apple Inc. or Apple related subsidiaries.

All images, videos and logos are the copyright of the respective rights holders, and this website does not claim ownership or copyright of the aforementioned.

All information about products mentioned on this site has been collected in good faith. However, the information relating to them, may not be 100% accurate, as we only rely on the information we are able to gather from the companies themselves or the resellers who stock these products, and therefore cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies arising from the aforementioned sources, or any subsequent changes that are made that we have not been made aware of.

HomeKit.Blog Is A Participant In The Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, An Affiliate Advertising Program Designed To Provide A Means For Sites To Earn Advertising Fees By Advertising And Linking To Amazon Store (Amazon.com, Or Endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, Or AmazonWireless.com).

The opinions expressed on this website by our contributors do not necessarily represent the views of the website owners. 

Copyright © 2022 HomeKit Blog
. All rights reserved
United States