IoT News of the Week for December 3, 2021 - Stacey on IoT

Cupertino, December 3, 2021

Some things I just learned about the subject: During a recent pre-CES discussion with the people at Eve, I learned that the company intends to upgrade most of its devices either through firmware or, in the case of Eve's light switch and motion sensor, with new devices at Matter . But because a firmware update is so complicated, once someone updates their Eve device to Matter, they won't be able to switch it back to HomeKit-only operation. This matters (sorry) because current Eve devices have some features that are not currently supported by Matter, and Eve CEO Jerome Gackel does not want to destroy this functionality for consumers who are switching. For example, Eve Plug starts and stops remotely, but also measures power consumption. Matter does not currently have a data model for sharing power consumption data between devices, so this feature will not be supported. Gackel is pushing the working group to support these use cases and hopes they will. I hope they do too. - Stacey Higginbotham

Alexa can tell now if your fridge is working: Technically, Alexa can only tell you if your water is leaking or if a device beeps. But none of them are among the personalized sounds that Amazon said Alexa will soon be able to recognize, and they are beautiful features, especially for the dozens of you all who turn to the IoT Hotline every year, asking for a way. automation. routines around your washing machine or dryer ending its cycles. This news was also released last week, but if you want to order the massive 15.2-inch Echo screen, it's now available for $ 249.99. (The Verge)

Does anyone use EdgeXFoundry? If people use Dell-initiated open source IoT middleware, they might be happy to learn that the Linux Foundation has released the second major version of the software - this time with long-term support, which means that the LF Edge group will be committed to supporting the version for at least two years. The launch of Jakarta, as it is known, also repairs the graphical user interface and certain configurations. These adjustments may lead to the use of EdgeX, but so far it's not something people use for their IoT deployments. Let me know if you are. (LF Edge)

Karamba has raised $ 10.2 million for the security of embedded devices: Israeli startup Karamba Security has raised an additional round of funding led by Vingroup, a member of Vingroup, Vietnam's largest private conglomerate, with the participation of SVIC, a South Korean corporate VC. This brings the total capital invested in Karamba to $ 27 million. Companies that use Karamba incorporate their software as part of the device's tool chain during the manufacturing process; the software then constantly checks to make sure that the firmware and functionality of the device are not behaving strangely. I wrote about this last year, and its approach has gained ground as other cybersecurity startups look at the behavior of their device or employees to assess security risks. (Karamba)

U.S. regulators will sue to stop Nvidia from buying Arm: In order not to be overtaken by regulators in China, the EU or the United Kingdom, the Federal Trade Commission has stepped up its lawsuit to prevent Nvidia from completing the $ 40 billion acquisition of Arm. The process will begin with an administrative hearing on August 9, 2022, but I doubt it will be reached, as most analysts believe the business is now virtually dead, given regulatory hurdles and the fact that Arm customers do not want the deal. When the deal was announced, we weren't in the middle of a chip shortage or focused on breaking up "Big Tech," but in the current climate, it's hard to see that this acquisition will be completed. So Arm's next best bet will probably be an IPO. (FTC)

Real talk about 5G and a call to stop with all Gs: Over the last few years, marketing around 5G has been relentless, so many of us have become deeply skeptical that the adoption and use of 5G remains relatively small. That's why I hurried to click on this relatively old article that asks us to take a break from the 6G development effort while assessing whether 5G has really lived up to its promise. It notes how hype about the development of new wireless standards can distort incentives and also directly addresses the failure of 5G to affect IoT use cases. Actually, I don't think we need to stop developing on 6G, but I think it's a good check of reality and an urge to avoid charging 6G with the hype that 5G has. (Cambridge Wireless)

Are you going to CES? As the omicron variant spreads and it remains unclear how dangerous it actually is or how effective vaccines can be in preventing its transmission, companies withdraw from CES. I set out to be there, but even I waver in my commitment as I wait and see how much we will learn in the next few weeks. This article claims that about 1,700 companies are participating, down from 4,500 in the pre-pandemic era. I know that many companies have reduced their plans to send people, and many companies outside the United States intend to send only their teams from the United States and make them completely avoid the show. You go? Take our survey and let me know. (Protocol)

Seattle researchers have built a laptop to prevent opioid overdoses: Researchers at the University of Washington have built a device to track a person's breathing and inject naloxone if they detect a lack of movement or breathing. The device, which aims to prevent overdoses, is designed to be worn on the stomachs of opioid users. A timely injection of naloxone is an effective way to save someone's life, so this type of wearable could have a huge impact if it were marketed and made available (and if opioid users wore it). The CDC estimates that more than 100,000 Americans died last year from an opioid overdose, so any tool that could help seems worth investigating. (The Seattle Times)

Allegion Ventures has a new $ 100 million fund dedicated to IoT security: This week, I wrote about Allegion Ventures (the parent company of Schlage Locks) which launched a second corporate venture fund, focusing on data security and ensuring user privacy as IoT grows. To read more, see the story. (Stacey on IoT)

Best selling & Top trending HomeKit product in our shop at this moment

HomeKit.Blog is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Apple Inc. or Apple related subsidiaries.

All images, videos and logos are the copyright of the respective rights holders, and this website does not claim ownership or copyright of the aforementioned.

All information about products mentioned on this site has been collected in good faith. However, the information relating to them, may not be 100% accurate, as we only rely on the information we are able to gather from the companies themselves or the resellers who stock these products, and therefore cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies arising from the aforementioned sources, or any subsequent changes that are made that we have not been made aware of.

HomeKit.Blog Is A Participant In The Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, An Affiliate Advertising Program Designed To Provide A Means For Sites To Earn Advertising Fees By Advertising And Linking To Amazon Store (Amazon.com, Or Endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, Or AmazonWireless.com).

The opinions expressed on this website by our contributors do not necessarily represent the views of the website owners. 

Copyright © 2022 HomeKit Blog
. All rights reserved
United States