Skip to content

Linksys Velop AX4200 problems

Linksys Velop AX4200 problems

Ugh! Fool me because I think a product sold by Apple as compatible will actually deliver HomeKit. I have a house full of HomeKit compatible devices: 5 HomePods, 3 HomePod Minis, about 20 Leviton switches and dimmers (I know, I know, I should have taken Lutron), 2 outdoor Meross light sockets and holiday decorations, 3 AppleTVs, etc. For many, many years I had an AirPort Extreme base station (the last one that looked like a tower) and a few Airport Express units that acted as extensions. Was the HomeKit perfect? Not all the time, but for the most part it was a fairly smooth navigation. I would have an occasional device to give me a “don’t answer” message, but they always came back online one day or so. Recently, we received a problem from our 2Gig internet ISP via our cable modem. Even sitting right next to the airport connected by 5 GHz, I could only shoot 600-700 Mbs, so I thought it was time for an upgrade. I would buy a 2-knot AX4200 directly from Apple – assuming, of course, that it would play well with HomeKit. What a mistake! My Leviton switches lose their connection ALL THE TIME and, unlike the old airport configuration, they don’t light up with a little time and patience. Instead, I’m forced to reset them (and lose all my automation) and add them back to the HomeKit. Then they literally lose their connection in a few hours and never come back online without a complete reset. I wish I hadn’t gone from my largely stable – albeit sometimes a little unpleasant – configuration now to Airport Express. The moral of the story: The Linksys AX4200 – despite supporting HomeKit compatibility and being sold by Apple as such – is simply not very good. My speeds are very good, but everything else seems like a real step backwards. I hope maybe a firmware update solves my problems, but I’m not very optimistic. I’m not even happy to throw serious money on the Linksys AX4200. If you are looking for a new router that integrates seamlessly into your HomeKit, keep looking!