Malouf M555 Hands-on: Here's how app controls and Siri work with this wild adjustable bed base

Cupertino, January 26, 2020

Source: Christopher Close / iMore

In my never-ending search for all things HomeKit, I recently discovered completely new product categories that work with Siri, but that don't quite fit into the smart mold. Apple's HomeKit platform has a limited selection of "services", such as power controls or lighting, but leaves certain things out, such as appliances and even mobile. This creates a gap that often leaves Apple fans in the cold compared to the offerings of other voice assistants.

However, the introduction of Siri shortcuts just a few years ago creates a new way to harness the power and convenience of Siri for some truly unique applications. Smart tea balloons that let you set the perfect temperature and tiny devices with batteries that can push a button on demand are just a few examples of this new wave of accessories.

We recently spent some time with such a product, which is not technically a device in the traditional sense, but offers a level of integration with Siri, which simply would not be possible if it were not for the order function fast. Adjustable bed base for Malouf M555 adjustable bed, yes, you read this, an adjustable bed base, brings the time spent sleeping or sleeping in the bedroom in the connected world.

Well adjusted

malouf m555 adjustable base render

Malouf M555 adjustable base

Hey Siri, good night.

The Malouf M555 adjustable base ensures intelligent connectivity in the bedroom through Siri control and applications. Additional features such as underground lighting and massage areas take things to another level.

Before we go into practice, I want to mention a few things about Malouf, because I admitted that I didn't know anything about the company before this experience. Malouf, based in Logan, Utah, is not a technology company, but rather a sleep company. With a wide range of products, such as mattresses, toppers, furniture, bedding and adjustable bed frames, which are available at retailers across the country, know a thing or two about having a good night's rest.

Malouf M555 adjustable bed base upright

The company is also a B-certified corporation (again, something new to me), which means that it not only cares about income, but also other social responsibilities, such as employees, the community and the environment. Despite being part of the furniture and bedding industry since 2003, the company is pushing this year to highlight its related features, which it considers to be a game changer for the industry.

Malouf M555 adjustable bed base in flat position

Malouf tells me that he has an in-house development team working on the Malouf Base application and you can really say that he emphasizes the user experience, keeping things clean and fun. The app incorporates iOS-specific features such as shortcuts and themes that can follow the phone's schedule, which is surprising given that it comes from a bed company.

Malouf Base application association process

The jump in things was quite simple, with just a few clicks to start the pairing process in the application and everything was ready to go in just a minute or two. Once connected, the large, clearly labeled buttons for each function were front and center, covering things such as raising and lowering the base, as well as optional functions, such as massage areas.

The functions of the Malouf Base application

Pressing one of the buttons has the effect of almost instant action, which plays without problems on the basis itself.
The only delay I have experienced so far is the use of manual adjustment controls, which takes about a second or two, which feels a little weird at first, almost as if it were an intentional choice.

(Embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4taDhe_exg (/ embed)

Using Siri with a bed base is also quick and easy to set up, with a dedicated application page that offers six common commands. Pressing on a command, such as one to move the bed to a flat position, will appear the familiar Add to Siri sheet, complete with a suggested phrase to use with the voice assistant. Of course, you can also name the order for something that works best for you - just enter the phrase you want.

Malouf Base App Control Siri

Once the shortcut is created, you can adjust the bed to your request, just as you would any other Siri request. Just say "Hey Siri" followed by your phrase and you can sit back and watch the magic unfold. In addition to working with Siri on your iOS devices, these shortcuts work just as well with a HomePod if you happen to have one in your bedroom.

One thing to note is that Siri's requests take a few seconds to resolve the request behind the scenes, and Siri's replies can add a few extra seconds of delay before the adjustments actually occur. Siri's volume coupled with the actual noise the engines make on the bed also prevents it from being a solution where you can whisper Siri to move up or down, without waking the person next to you, except if they are asleep.

In addition to the Siri and application controls, the shortcuts created for Malouf Bed Base also work with personal automation in the Shortcuts application. This means that your bed can automatically adjust to your favorite positions when an NFC tag is scanned, when you don't mind, or at a specific time of day. You can take things further by creating shortcuts that include both HomeKit accessories and the bed base, creating the ultimate "good night" scenario.

(Embed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVPqCZwi2I (/ embed)

A complete overhaul of the M555 will be coming soon, which will cover things like installation / installation, performance over time and any potential health effects (sniff!) Seen. Feel free to drop any questions you may have about the base or the related features below, as I'm sure there are a lot of use cases that I didn't even dream of.

If you'd like to sample on one of these connected bases, Malouf tells me he is showing his line on the Las Vegas market (which is about CES for furniture and home) January 26-30, and his products are currently available at furniture dealers in the United States and 25 countries around the globe.

Well adjusted

malouf m555 adjustable base render

Malouf M555 adjustable base

Hey Siri, good night.

The Malouf M555 adjustable base ensures intelligent connectivity in the bedroom via Siri control and applications. Additional features such as underground lighting and massage areas take things to another level.

Main

HomeKit

We may earn a commission on purchases using our links. Find out more.

Best selling & Top trending HomeKit product in our shop at this moment

HomeKit.Blog is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Apple Inc. or Apple related subsidiaries.

All images, videos and logos are the copyright of the respective rights holders, and this website does not claim ownership or copyright of the aforementioned.

All information about products mentioned on this site has been collected in good faith. However, the information relating to them, may not be 100% accurate, as we only rely on the information we are able to gather from the companies themselves or the resellers who stock these products, and therefore cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies arising from the aforementioned sources, or any subsequent changes that are made that we have not been made aware of.

HomeKit.Blog Is A Participant In The Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, An Affiliate Advertising Program Designed To Provide A Means For Sites To Earn Advertising Fees By Advertising And Linking To Amazon Store (Amazon.com, Or Endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, Or AmazonWireless.com).

The opinions expressed on this website by our contributors do not necessarily represent the views of the website owners. 

Copyright © 2022 HomeKit Blog
. All rights reserved
United States