Smart home appliances replace our speakers, refrigerators, old bulbs and more. But how about things in our homes that aren't smart yet? That's where the smart plugs come in.
These ingenious gadgets connect your old routine Apple HomeKit., lamp, fan, appliances or just about anything else for your smart home for voice control and automation. There are models for each voice assistant. Some even work with all three: Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant
With so many options, choosing the right smart plug to turn on and off your devices means you have to analyze the needs, configuration of your home and the platform you use to control everything.
We've tested dozens of the best smart plugs from large and small companies, and these are the best bets to convert the rest of your home online.
Chris Monroe / CNET
The Kasa TP-Link smart product line includes this space-saving smart jack. It works with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa through its Wi-Fi network, and the Kasa app (Android and iOS) offers many detailed options for customizing scheduling, absence modes, and timers.
What won't you get? Data on power consumption, a USB port or HomeKit support. However, if you are interested in programming and using voice and voice controls, the $ 15 TP-Link smart jack is a great option for controlling a light switch or other connected devices.
Read the Mini TP-Link Kasa Smart WiFi Plug review.
Tyler Lizenby / CNET
For just $ 18, this smart connector is the most accessible on our list. It is also the smallest. Combine it with power monitoring and Google Assistant with smart information and voice control of Amazon Alexa and you have a great choice for power outlet or smart home.
SmartThings Wi-Fi Smart Plug will not work with HomeKit and there are no additional USB ports for charging. SmartThings (iOS and Android) doesn't offer as many customization options and programming capabilities as the previous KP TP-Link smart socket, but SmartThings impressed us by creating an easy-to-configure smart connector that doesn't need a SmartThings Center
Chris Monroe / CNET
This smart Wi-Fi connector comes with an easy-to-use application, monitors your energy consumption in kilowatts (kWh) and works with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa for voice commands via the Wi-Fi router and Wi-Fi network.
The socket design blocks the top or bottom outputs and is not compatible with Apple HomeKit. However, the TP-Link Kasa application is excellent and you will get a clear picture of the power the connected device uses.
Unlike some smart card manufacturers, TP-Link has a number of other Kasa smart home products, which include light bulbs, cameras and even an electric tape, making it easy to extend your smart home in an app if you like this connector.
Read the Kasa TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Plug-in for power monitoring.
Tyler Lizenby / CNET
At a cost of $ 27, the Belkin WeMo Mini WiFi Smart Plug is accessible and comes with Google native assistant, Alexa and yes, HomeKit support.
WeMo is not our favorite app and you won't get power monitoring with this smart Wi-Fi connector. Aside from these shortcomings, the space-saving design for the Mini smart jack and the solid HomeKit smart plug and Siri compatibility make it easy for users in the Apple ecosystem to recommend it.
Read our review of WeMo Mini WiFi Smart Plug.
The 80 iDevices outdoor switch is a great way to automate lights, fans, lamps, switches, or other outdoor electronic devices. It works with Google Assistant, Alexa and HomeKit via its Wi-Fi connection and includes power tracking and remote control.
While you will get two outputs, you cannot control them individually. If this is essential for you, we recommend that you check out the iClever Smart Plug, which uses the Smart Life application as a control center to control remote devices.
Read our review of iDevices Outdoor Switch.
Other models I've tested
There are dozens of smart plugs from large and small companies, and although I haven't tried them all, I've seen many reach through CNET Smart Home. Here's a quick look at other notable options.
- : Amazon's smart plug costs $ 25 and only works with Alexa. While the setup is easy, it doesn't have as many features as other models.
- Satechi Dual Intelligent Output: This HomeKit compatible smart connector costs $ 30 and you get two outputs and power monitoring capability. There is no support for Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- : This $ 40 smart outdoor connector works with all three voice assistants, but you'll only get one output.
- : This $ 60 giant does it all: power monitoring, individually controlled outputs, USB port and LED status lighting. However, the unattractive and high price and design are enough to keep me from recommending.
- : This $ 32 smart connector works well with HomeKit, but blocks adjacent outputs. Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa integrations are not as simple as we would like.
- : This smart connector focused on HomeKit is another solid option for Apple smartphones, but it didn't work so well in our tests.
- : This smart pin with a pin is a bit larger than our previous SmartThings budget pick and costs just $ 23 more. You'll also get information from Amazon and Google Assistant.
- : This two-pack for just $ 15 is incredibly cheap and works well. It works with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, but there is no energy monitoring.
Things to remember
Choosing the best smart connector for you starts with voice assistant compatibility. Choose a plug that works with any voice assistant you use, be it a smartphone, tablet or other device. You can usually find this information in the product box, website, or mobile application of your voice assistant.
Next, consider where the plug will be located and if it is worrying to lock other adjacent sockets. If so, make sure you choose a plug that is not too big. Most models described as "mini" will save space.
Additional features, such as power monitoring and USB charging, can add even more control and convenience. Regardless of the smart plug you choose, making everyday products online is one of the simplest ways to automate and improve your home.
Originally published last year.