The Home for iOS application allows you to automate and control the various HomeKit enabled accessories. However, to take advantage of the home automation features (and also control your home when you’re out and about), you need to set up an Apple TV, Apple TV 4K, iPad or HomePod to 4- to generate a HomeKit Hub. Here’s how you plan to do this!
Note: We cannot stress this enough: you must enable two-factor authentication on your Apple ID. Here’s how to enable two-factor authentication.
How to Make Apple TV a HomeKit Hub
- Open Settings on Apple TV.
- Scroll down and click to open AirPlay & HomeKit.
Scroll down Home hubs and check to see what it says Logged in. If not, click to connect.
How to make your iPad a HomeKit Hub
- Launch Settings on the iPad.
- Scroll down and touch The home.
Touch the switch to activate them Use this iPad as your home hub.
How to turn your HomePod into a HomeKit Hub
- Configure your HomePod for the first time.
Believe it or not, this is it! As soon as you finish the initial setup process for HomePod, it will automatically become a primary Hub. However, instead of displaying the device name, you will find the name of the room in which it is located Add and edit Home screen.
Get ready to stream UFC 248 with an ESPN + subscription
How to view the status of the current HomeKit Hub
Do you want to check the status of your HomeKit hub or do you want to find out which of your devices is your hub? It’s easy and involves just a few clicks in the iOS Home app.
- Launch The home app.
Touch the button House icon on the top left.
- Scroll down and touch Hubs and bridges.
Review the list HomeKit Hubs allocated to your house.
- Logged in status means that this device currently acts as the HomeKit hub.
- Waiting status means that the device will assume the role of the hub if the main hub is disconnected.
If you’re having trouble accessing your home while you’re out and about, Apple has a few recommendations:
- Make sure all your devices are up to date with the latest software.
- Make sure all your devices are connected to the internet.
- Make sure you are connected to the same Apple ID on all devices.
- Enable two-factor authentication.
- If all else fails, restart your devices.
Do you have questions or does it seem like everything is working out? Tell us in the comments and we’ll try to get you out!