The Linksys Velop HomeKit Secure Router update is finally here! Now, with a Linksys Velop triple-band compatible router and a few touches, you can add an extra layer of security to your HomeKit accessories. HomeKit Secure Routers allow you to manage what internet services and homeKit accessory devices you can communicate with, so you can be sure everything is private and secure. Here’s how to secure your HomeKit accessories with the Linksys Velop HomeKit Secure Router update.
How to upgrade your Linksys Velop router to a secure HomeKit router
- Launch Linksys application.
- Click on Menu button located in the upper left corner of the application.
touch Apple Home integration.Source: iMore
- touch Sign in to Apple Home.
- Touch the file name The home which you want to use with the router.
touch O.K.Source: iMore
- touch Keep going.
- Touch the file name The room which you want to use for the router.
touch Keep going.Source: iMore
- Type a Name for the router, then tap Keep going.
- If you have multiple routers, you will be prompted to name them and place them in a room before moving on to the next step.
- touch Enable Accessory Security to use the default security settings.
- You can also choose Disable accessory security if you want to set your own restriction levels later in the Home app.
touch Finished to finish.Source: iMore
Now that your Linksys Velop router is working with HomeKit, decide how your HomeKit accessories interact with other devices in your home or what internet services they can connect to. By default, HomeKit uses a list of approved services provided by accessory manufacturers and blocks any inappropriate traffic. Of course, you can take things further with additional options, here are the breakdown of available settings:
Early Prime Day 2020 offers: headphone sales, Galaxy phones, Echo devices and more
- Limited to home: Only allow connections to your home hub. This may block firmware updates or other services.
- Automatic: Allow connections with an automatically updated list of manufacturer-approved internet services and local devices.
- No restrictions: Allow connections to any internet service or local device. It offers the lowest level of security.
Want to dive into these advanced settings, but don’t know where to find them? Don’t worry, I’ve covered you with another handy guide on how to manage HomeKit compatible routers in the Home app.
Linksys Velop HomeKit Router: Questions?
Need help updating your Linksys Velop router? Do you already have the router running HomeKit? What security settings do you use with your accessories? Tell us in the comments below!